Saturday, May 23, 2009

SECOND CHANCES – Chapter 1

Melissa leaned against the kitchen counter, closed her eyes and mentally followed Hank's steps through the house. Same routine every night – walk in, find his chair, flip through every television station and settle on the news or the newest crime drama.

Just once I wish he'd do something different. Change clothes first, grab a drink, find a different show to watch. Anything.

She walked to the living room door and studied her husband. A little heavier than when they'd married, but still in good shape. Some gray hair showed around his temples, but it only enhanced his tanned face. A face she'd first noticed in tenth grade even if he hadn't known she existed then. His strong, square jaw and serious expressions nearly hid the twinkle in his dark blue eyes.

Years after graduation she'd run into him again. His more defined body and serious expression caught her attention, but the bright gleam in his eyes still set her heart racing. This time he'd noticed her too. Once again, he'd swept her off her feet and less than two months later she was pregnant and they were married.

Ten years later they had survived the worst life could offer. The gleam in his eyes had dimmed. Her heart no longer raced. They grew further apart every day.

Pushing the thoughts aside, Melissa stepped between her husband and the television. "Hank, I'm leaving. I left your dinner in the microwave."

Hank looked dazed. "Oh? Where are you headed?"

"I'm going to my database class. Edna wants to computerize the daycare's records. I told you about it when I signed up in June."

Hank's gaze flicked back to the news. "Oh, yeah."

Melissa gathered her purse and books and walked to the car, knowing she would receive no more attention from Hank this evening.

Five minutes. Would it kill you to pay attention to me for five minutes?

She remembered a different time. A time of laughter and happiness. Before life had dealt such a hard blow. Before she'd lost so much. Before God had let her down. Before Bradley and Melissa.

Loneliness engulfed her as she made the short drive to the university. The feeling disappeared as she stepped into what looked like a classroom full of high school students.

Melissa double-checked her schedule as she headed inside. She had never felt so out of place and – well, old. She scanned the room looking for an empty seat. Her cheeks flamed as she heard the whispers circling around her.

"I thought this class was with Dr. Alexander."

"You don't think she's a new professor do you?"

"Can't be. I was looking forward to Dr. Alexander. If she's the new professor I'll probably drop this class and pick up something else."

Stunned, Melissa turned but before she could dispute the teenager's assumption a man entered the room and began to speak.

"Hello, this is Database 101 so if that's not the class you're looking for, please check your schedule to find the right room number." He looked pointedly at Melissa before continuing. "If everyone is where they're supposed to be, we'll get started."

Melissa groaned. I'm older than everyone here, including the professor. She took the only seat left – front and center, of course – and opened her book as the professor continued his introduction.

"Okay, let's get started. I'm Professor Alexander, but you can call me Jonas."

Two hours later, her mind reeling from all the information buzzing through her head, Melissa stood and picked up her books. As she turned toward the door, Professor Alexander approached.

"Ms. Forrester, I just wanted to say if you have any trouble with the material, please let me know. I'd be happy to help you."

"Thank you, Professor Alexander; I'm sure I'll be collecting on that offer before the term is over."

"Well, I'm sure this class will be easy enough for you. And, please, call me Jonas. Professor Alexander makes me sound old."

A lock of blond hair fell in front of his blue eyes. He reminded Melissa of a teenage surfer from a fifties beach movie. She returned his smile, but resisted the urge to push the curls from his face.

"Please, call me Melissa, but I hardly see how anyone would consider you old."

A smile lit his face. "Actually, I'll be thirty-nine before this term ends. My sister says she envies my baby face and the fact that I look younger than I am, but I keep telling her it's not always a good thing. It's hard to teach students who look older than you."

"I guess I'm not the oldest person in this class then. For a while there I thought I would have to spend the whole term with a bunch of high school students."

Jonas laughed with her. Surprisingly, Melissa found herself warming to the sound. "I really need to get going; I have to be at work early tomorrow morning," she said.

Jonas held out a business card. "I forgot to give these out tonight, but here's my card with my home number on the back. If you have any trouble with the lessons this week please give me a call."

As she took the card from his hands her fingers brushed his. A shock traveled up her hand. And what was that funny little flip her stomach was doing? She stuffed the card in her purse and left the room.

###

Melissa sat in her office at the day care the next morning. As she listened to the children playing in the next room she replayed the previous evening in her head.

If only things had been different with Bradley and the baby.

Melissa pushed the thoughts of her children aside and focused on her paperwork. She longed for days when she could make an entry once on the computer rather than by hand in triplicate.

By the time she finished and headed home it was after six. Melissa hurried through the front door. "Sorry I'm late. Give me a minute and we can eat."

No answer. Probably already asleep.

She hurried to the kitchen and sliced bread to go with the soup she had put in the crock pot that morning. Ten minutes later she stepped into the living room.

"Hank, dinner's ready."

Melissa turned the lights on but stopped at Hank's empty chair. She glanced at the mantle clock. Seven fifteen. Wondering at Hank's lateness she settled on the sofa to read the newspaper and wait. At eight o'clock she quietly returned to the kitchen, ladled soup into her bowl and ate. At nine she cleared the table and put the food in the refrigerator. Worrying that something had happened to him she dialed his cell phone, discouraged when it went straight to voice mail.

She made her way back to the sofa, picked up a book and tried to read. After reading the same paragraph five times she put the book down and began to pace. Anger quickly replaced worry as she moved from one side of the living room to the other. Finally headlights flashed through the front window. Fuming, she walked to the door.

###

Hank reached for the door hesitantly. Melissa was waiting for him and he knew she was upset.

I shouldn't have gone out after work, and I definitely shouldn't have stayed for that second drink.

Vaguely he remembered a time when it would never have occurred to him to have even one drink. He looked at his watch. Quarter till ten. He stood at the door like a man facing a firing squad. He lifted his hand but before he could insert his key into the lock the door burst open and he faced his wife.

Anger sparked in her eyes. I'm a dead man. He stepped into the foyer.

Tell her the truth.

Hank ignored the warning as he tried to come up with an excuse.

"Hi, honey."

"Don't you dare 'Hi, honey' me. Do you know what time it is? I've been worried sick for the last two hours. You could have called and said you were going to be late." Melissa leaned closer and sniffed the air around him. "Have you been drinking?"

"I had a couple of drinks with the guys after work."

He reached his hand out to touch her but Melissa turned and stormed down the hallway to their bedroom. "I'm going to bed. There's soup and bread in the refrigerator if you're hungry."

Hank stood, staring after her as she entered their bedroom and slammed the door, never once looking back. It was his own fault and he knew it. He didn't drink, but guilt had become his new best friend. If Melissa ever found out what he'd done their marriage would be over. He'd made a mistake, one he never intended to repeat. He just hoped Melissa never found out.

###

Melissa woke up late but calmer the next morning. Hank was wrong, but she should have listened to his explanation. Disappointment filled her when she realized he'd already left for work. Melissa dressed and headed to the kitchen where she found coffee ready and waiting for her. Her cup and a note sat next to the coffee pot.

Melissa

I'm sorry about last night. I'll be home early tonight and we can talk.

Hank

Melissa wiped a tear from her eye. As she headed for His Precious Ones Day Care Center she made plans for the evening. I'll leave work early, fix a nice dinner and we'll talk. And we have a lot to talk about. Drinking? Hank doesn't drink.

With four new children enrolling, Melissa spent most of her day completing forms and giving tours. She finally finished with the last family and glanced at her watch.

Four o'clock.

She rushed to the grocery store, grabbed steak, potatoes, salad and bread for dinner. On a whim she also picked up fresh strawberries and whipped cream for desert.

Melissa loaded her groceries, climbed into her car and started home. She pulled up to a red light and stopped, studying the people walking down the sidewalk.

Happy couples strolling hand-in-hand seemed to be everywhere she looked. There was even a pair stopping beside a car to give each other a hug. Melissa stared at the couple. Something seemed vaguely familiar.

Her heart fell. Her stomach rolled.

Hank?

 

1 comments:

Christina said...

Is this something you wrote?

Help Us Out!

Michelle D. Rodgers's Fan Box

About Me

I have been married since July, 1990. God has blessed me and my husband with four children. My oldest will graduate in May and head to college. I enjoy reading and began writing my own stories a few years ago.

Label Cloud


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster